Thursday, October 8, 2015

Games staffing firms play . . .

This afternoon I had an interview for a temp-to-perm position that I saw posted by a contingent staffing firm, let's call them BigTemp, that I've worked with over the years. BigTemp is a global firm, so it's not some Mickey Mouse outfit.  Over the course of my interview with John & Mary from Client Co, the subject of salary comes up. 

The job description posted on the BigTemp website indicated the salary range was $20-$22/hr. which is what I tell John & Mary from Client Co.  A brief look of surprise passed between them and John said that the temp salary range for this job tops out at $18/hr.  They wondered if there was a miscommunication between the recruiter they worked with and the recruiter I normally dealt with.  That's the charitable way of looking at it.

Call me cynical, but I look at it as bait & switch.  Why?  Because about a month ago, I interviewed for a permanent job via BigTemp and the max. salary was $2000 less than stated in the job posting.  But, hey, what's the big deal over $2-$4/hr ?  Annualized for a 40- hour week it's $4,160 - $8,320/yr.  Not chump change.  

I was meh on this job so I don't care whether I get an offer.  But I'm really annoyed with BigTemp.  There are slimy staffing agencies out there but I wouldn't have said BigTemp was one of them, until today.  They reel in candidates with one salary range that they know the client has no intention of paying.  Then, if you're offered the job, the recruiter will have a list of reasons why the company doesn't feel you merit the "top rate".  You're told that once you prove yourself, you'll make it up with annual raises.  


B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T.  

$22/hr is 22% more than an $18/hr rate.  Given that salary increases aren't a guarantee for even good employees these days and the avg. annual wage increase is 2%, it will take about a decade to make up that $4 per hour difference.

I think I'll be breezing past the job postings from BigTemp from now on.  I can't work with people I can't trust.

1 comment: